We are Tong Garden Centre / TGC (2015) Limited, a company registered in England under number 09409991. Our registered office is Tong Lane, Bradford BD4 0RY.
Tong Garden Centre is the Data Controller you can contact us by writing to the above address, emailing us at [email protected] or you can contact the centre on 0113 285 3506 to ask any questions you may have. We operate the websites www.tonggardencentre.co.uk, www.grasshoppersplay.co.uk
This notice sets out how we will use your personal data when you use our website, sign up to one of our email mailing lists, shop with us, make an online booking, complete any in-store forms, enter competitions and register to become part of our Evergreens membership.
Please read this notice before browsing our website, completing a purchase with us, booking for an event, completing any in-store form, subscribing to an email mailing list and/or registering to be part of our Evergreens membership. We recommend you print a copy of this policy for future reference (although a copy will always be available on our website).
We collect the following personal data about you:
- your IP address when you browse our website.
- your name, email address, address, phone number and payment details for the purpose of completing a purchase on our website, for creating an account with us or making a booking through our booking system provider.
- the information you provide to us if you register to become part of our Evergreens membership or one of our email contact lists.
- the information you provide to us and which we generate about you when you make an enquiry or complaint with us.
- In addition to the above personal data we may also collect the following personal data about you when you are visiting us in-store:
- We operate CCTV for security and health and safety reasons and you may be captured on this CCTV.
- We occasionally take videos and photos in-store for use on our website, publications and social media but, unless you have specifically consented, you will never be the sole focus of these images. If you do see an image of you which we have taken which you would like us to remove from the relevant media and stop using, please contact us to let us know using the details set out above.
We may use your personal data in the following ways:
- We may use your IP address to analyse how you engage with us (on our website, social media platforms and through our email communications) to assist us in improving our website and review the effectiveness of our communications.
- Where you have made a purchase with us, we will use this information to supply the products/services you have requested, to process your payment and to provide our customer services and related administrative support to you.
- Where you have made an enquiry or complaint, we will use this information to deal with your enquiry or complaint and provide our services to you.
- Where you have provided your personal data to us, we may use this information to contact you to discuss your comments and feedback.
- Where you have entered a competition, we will use this information in order to contact the winner(s).
Our lawful basis for processing your personal data:
- We process your IP address on the basis of our legitimate interests of keeping our website up to date and relevant, developing our business and informing our marketing strategy.
- We process your personal data which you provide to us when making a purchase or for an enquiry/complaint to perform our contract with you.
- We process your personal data as a member of one of our email mailing lists or Evergreens membership on the basis of our legitimate interests of keeping in contact with our customers, keeping our customers up to date with our news, offers and events, promoting our products, services and events and understanding our customers’ spending habits to assist us in improving our centre and sales offering.
- We process any personal data you provide in store on the basis of our legitimate interests of improving our customer service and understanding your complaints, concerns and feedback in respect of the service we provide.
- We operate CCTV on the basis of our legitimate interests of crime prevention and providing a safe and secure environment for our customers and colleagues.
We will share some of your personal data with selected third parties. This will include our marketing agencies, social media platforms, our email platform provider, booking system provider, credit reference agencies, our product delivery agents, our payment providers and third parties who operate data storage/management systems on our behalf. Full details of such third parties can be provided on request.
You may opt-out of receiving communications at any time. If you would like us to stop sending you communications and/or no longer wish to be a mailing list subscriber, you can let us know by using the contact details set out above or following the “opt out/unsubscribe” option in each of our communications.
We will retain and process your personal data as set out above as follows:
- We will retain your IP address for such period as you are a member of our email mailing list, following which it shall be deleted.
- Where you have provided payment details for the purpose of completing a purchase with us, we will keep such details for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
- Where you have registered for an account with us, we will keep such personal data for such time as you wish to continue to hold an account with us.
- If you are a member of one of our email mailing lists, for such time as you remain a member we may de-activate your membership in the event that you do not engage for more than 18 months (this means not opening any of our emails). Once your membership has been de-activated we will retain your data for three years for record keeping and reference purposes only. In the event that you wish to re-subscribe, please contact us to let us know.
You have the following rights in respect of the personal data we hold about you:
- a right of access to such data;
- a right to object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing you damage or distress;
- a right to prevent processing for direct marketing;
- a right to object to our profiling of you;
- a right to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, deleted or destroyed; and
- a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of relevant data protection legislation.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the details set out below.
You have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Our data protection officer can be contacted at the above address and telephone number and by email to: [email protected] Please contact our data protection officer before lodging a complaint with the ICO.
We may update this policy from time to time by updating the version on our website.
What is a cookie?
Some cookies are there to enable our website to work and to ensure security, others make your online experience easier, personalise your experience and help us understand how you’re using our site. Some cookies are used to tailor the advertisements you see.
What kinds of cookie do we use?
Essential cookies: Essential cookies are always on. These are technical cookies that are required for the operation of our sites. Without using these our sites can’t operate properly. For example, essential cookies are required to enable you to log in to your account, load images and create transactions. We may also use essential cookies to maintain the security of our sites and protect your information, by detecting and preventing cyber attacks.
Experience cookies: Experience cookies allow Tong Garden Centre to recognise and count the number of visitors to our sites so we can check our online services are working and make improvements on our sites to make your journey easier. Experience cookies also allow us to remember the choices you make, such as the items in your basket or your display preferences. We use this information to understand you better and to personalise your experience with us online.
Tong Garden Centre’s Advertising cookies: Advertising cookies used by Tong Garden Centre, record your visits to our websites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We use this information, along with other information about you as a customer, to help make our advertising relevant to your interests both on our sites and other sites you may visit. We also use these to limit the number of times that you see an ad and to inform us on how effective a particular ad has been.
Cookies have different lifespans. Many essential cookies only remain on your device until you close the browser window, these are known as session cookies. Other cookies may remain for a longer period of time, for example to recall information on your next visit. These are known as persistent cookies.
- To allow our sites to work – to load content, balance the resource required for different parts of the site and to enable transactions.
- To keep our sites secure – to detect and prevent attacks or security risks, so that we can keep your information safe.
- To spot flaws, errors and bugs – by measuring activity we’re able to see when part of our site is not working as it should.
- To improve the performance of our sites – by understanding which parts work well for our customers and which could work better. Sometimes we do this by comparing how two slightly different versions of a page perform for example.
- To improve and personalise your experience – for example by remembering products in your basket, or items you’ve been interested in. We’ll remember your favourite items to make recommendations or reminders that are relevant to you. We also use your location to display products that are stocked in your local store.
- To understand you better – we use information from cookies in combination with other information about you to inform our insight activities, to help us better provide products and services which meet your expectations.
- To deliver relevant online advertising for Tong Garden Centre to visitors on our websites and third party websites. To determine what kinds of ad to display, how frequently to display them and measure how effective these ads have been.
- To understand how effective our online advertising communications are and to improve our communications.
We may identify your device or link different devices together to help us to carry these kinds of activity out.
You can also control cookies by activating relevant settings on your browser or device. Please be aware that if you turn decline all cookies via your browser you may not be able to access all or parts of our sites.
Last updated: 09/02/22